Okeechobee County participates in the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program through cooperation with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. The NPDES program is a Statewide program that is intended to protect waterways from a myriad of potential pollutants.
The role of the County in the program is to engage in several key activities. These involve:
1. Public Education & Outreach;
2. Encourage Public Involvement and Participation;
3. Engage in Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination;
4. Establish minimum controls for Construction site stormwater control; and
5. Engage in Best Management Practices to eliminate and avoid pollution associated
with Municipal Operations.
If you observe activities in your neighborhood or the community that you are concerned might pollute downstream lakes, streams, or other waterways, please contact the Okeechobee County Public Works Department at 863-763-3514 and report the occurrence as a potential NPDES Stormwater violation.
Please find below, additional Information regarding methods to prevent or avoid pollution of the Municipal Separate Stormwater System (MS4) by individuals and business owners: