Employment Application - PDF Format
Updated: November 21, 2014 at 1:45 am by Jeff Shain
NOTICE of VACANCIES
Deputy Public Safety Director - $51,847
Responsible management and administrative work in the efficient delivery of emergency and non-emergency community based service in a cost effective, innovative and pro-active manner. This position supervises Operations, Fire Prevention, Training and the Animal Control Department.
Graduation from an accredited two year community college with an Associates Degree in Fire Administration, Fire Science, or related field. Three (3) years of progressively responsible authority in fire service at the rank of Lieutenant or higher. If an external applicant is selected, he/she must have five (5) years of experience at the rank of Lieutenant or higher with a career department comparable in size to Okeechobee County Fire Rescue.
- Florida State Minimum Standards Certification as a Firefighter as authorized by F.S.S. 633
- Florida certified as Fire Officer I
- Fire Officer II or III (Preferred)
- Florida certified as a Fire Safety Inspector
- Fire Safety Inspector II Preferred
- Florida certified as a Fire Instructor I
- Fire Instructor II (Preferred)
- Florida certified Paramedic.
Deadline: December 12, 2014
Head Mechanic – Vehicle Maintenance FT - $38,580
Supervisory and highly skilled mechanical and lead work in the repair and maintenance of gasoline and diesel powered and related public safety (fire/rescue) equipment.
- Experience in all types of automotive repair and maintenance
- Knowledge and experience with tools and equipment needed for major and minor repairs of diesel motors and diesel powered equipment.
- Knowledge and experience with hydraulic systems, especially those employed in diesel powered Public Safety equipment,
- Ability to perform both gas and arc welding, including knowledge of various metals, heat ranges applicable to welding various metals, and proper rods to be used for various metals
- Knowledge of Fleet Management procedures and computerized systems.
- Valid Florida Commercial Driver’s license with safe driving record with no more than 3 points off license,
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in engine repair and/or electrical systems, air conditioning and brakes,
Graduation from high school or equivalent recognized certification, completion of a two (2) year technical/vocational automotive repair program; five (5) years of experience in the repair, maintenance and servicing of diesel motors and diesel powered emergency equipment, including experience in all types of automotive repair and maintenance. Two (2) years of supervisory experience in the automotive industry or any equivalent combination of related training and experience.
Planner - $37,456 annually
Performs technical reviews of building permit applications and development proposals for zoning and land use consistency; provides flood zone information; provides GIS assistance; prepares staff reports; provides assistance to the public with planning, zoning, flood zone and other land use matters.
Graduation from an accredited 4 year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or closely related field with some experience in planning preferred. Comparable training and experience may be submitted for degree requirement. Sample of a written work product must be submitted with employment application. Must have valid Florida Driver’s License with no more than 3 points off for infractions.
Administrative work assisting the Deputy County Administrator (DCA) in a wide variety of staff and administrative functions. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, other duties include record keeping, coordination of meetings and conferences, working with highly confidential and sensitive information, working on routine and special projects and other duties as assigned by the DCA. Deals with the public, elected officials, contractors, as well as all internal contacts at all levels in the County. Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Deputy County Administrator.
Applicant must have Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university with three (3) years of secretarial and administrative experience or any equivalent combination of related training and experience. Starting salary is $32,309.00 annually.
Requires a TABE test with a minimum score of 11.0. TABE Tests are good for two years. If you have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, you do not have to have a TABE Test. If you have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, please submit a copy of the Degree with your application.
Animal Control Officer – Part time
Work involving the enforcement of County Animal Control ordinances and state laws relating to animals; ensuring the public is protected from diseased, problem and vicious stray animals and that animals are humanely treated after being impounded. Duties include: apprehending, impounding, euthanizing and disposing of diseased, unwanted, unhealthy, problem and vicious animals. Applicants for this position must have:
-Current, valid Animal Control Officer Certification
- Knowledge of State and County Animal Control Regulations and animal care procedures
- Valid Florida Driver’s License with safe driving record. Cannot have more than three (3) points off of Driver’s License for infractions
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with the public and other employees
- High School Diploma or acceptable equivalency (GED)
- Two (2) years of experience in handing, trapping, ensnaring and transporting domestic type animals
Position is part-time, up to twenty-nine hours per week
-s elected applicant hired with certifications and background required for Animal Control Officer I will be paid $13.01 per hour.
- selected applicant hired but does not have Animal Control Certification will be paid 12.36 per hour and required to obtain Animal Control Officer certification within one (1) year from date of employment;
Although resumes are accepted, an Okeechobee County employment application must be completed and submitted to:
Okeechobee County Courthouse
304 NW 2ndStreet – Room 104
Okeechobee, FL 34972
A pre-employment background check will be conducted.
Okeechobee County is an EOE/Drug Free Workplace.
All clerical positions require a TABE test with a minimum score of 11.0. TABE Tests are good for two years. If you have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, you do not have to have a TABE Test.
TABE tests can be taken at:
Indian River State College (IRSC), 2229 NW 9thAvenue, Okeechobee, FL.
Applications may be downloaded at: www.co.okeechobee.fl.us.